Household appliances are vital components of a house that need proper care and management, just like clothes, shoes, food items, etc. If not done, it might result in developing tears and wear from daily use. Therefore, it is necessary to check for appliance warranties before making a purchase.
Big and heavy devices which are powered by electricity or run mechanically or through gas are appliances that need regular checking. Therefore, one can run a quick scan on his household appliances once a month.
The iron parts can get rusted or might have had faulty wiring, or the refrigerator might need defrosting because of the deposition of ice on the top shelf. Of course, such instances ought to be fixed and repaired. But, unfortunately, as huge and weighty these appliances are, so are their repair costs.
Things to keep the appliances in check
Lives would not have been easier without the invention of home appliances. If not taken properly care of, it can lead to wildfires. Each appliance has a different method of preservation. Certain measures can be mitigated to keep the appliance functioning. They are to:-
- Avoid overloading the refrigerator: It is better not to overload the fridge with too many food items as the compressor might fail. Fruits and vegetables are to be kept in the lower compartment of the fridge separately. Because of low temperatures, fruits and vegetables are likely to form a host for fungus. Check for proper closing of the refrigerator door as not doing so can suspend an enormous amount of CFCs into the air.
- Seal tight the oven door: Ovens lose heat if left open or not properly sealed. This can lead to improper food cooking and might take a longer time for it to cook the next time it is used. The rubber gasket around the perimeter of the oven door must be checked. Oven containers must be used for cooking inside the oven.
- Liquid detergents for washing machines: Not all detergents are suitable for washing clothes inside a laundry machine. Liquid detergents are quite handy. These are used so that there is no residue of detergents after the clothes are given a spin. At most times, the dirt collector inside the washing machine might get stuck with lumps of washing powder and ultimately damage the machine.
- Remove rust from racks: Rust can be caused by exposure of iron bars to air and moisture. This can cause corrosion and make the rack handles brittle. A repair kit and a sealant kit must be used at these times.
- Fix dryer exhaust: It is likely to occur that the deposited lint in the dryer exhaust can cause inefficiency in its working. Large lumps of lint must be removed from the tubing and hole, which can be done by gently scraping out with the help of a straightened coat hanger.
- Change the air filters: Air conditioners can get damaged due to improper checking of the air filters, which trap dirt and dust from the room. Due to this, one may not get the chilled environment in hot summers. Doing a regular check and changing the air filters on Sundays will make the device run without any hindrance. This will maintain the efficiency of the air conditioning system for a prolonged period.
- Clear out garbage disposals: The foul odor of the clogged garbage in drains can be irritating. This can be rectified by clearing out the stuck items at the walls of the tubes. A mixture of ice cubes, Salt, or vinegar can be added to the drains to get rid of the blocked area. If not done, it can cause system failure, and the disposal stops working.
These are simple and effective measures to be followed to keep the device running. For example, keeping the appliance’s door open will damage the device and cause a hazard. Proper care and maintenance increase the lifespan and efficiency of the devices and result in energy conservation.
Home appliance warranty
Appliance warranties are written statements that ensure that the company takes charge and no cash from the customer for the repair if the device turns out to be defective.
However, the warranty contains certain terms and conditions regarding the product’s status, which, if violated by the customer, the customer is then bound to pay for the servicing of the devices.
If the company finds any physical damage, like scratches on the skin or scraping out of the covering, the customer is charged for those damages.
Warranties are valid only for a certified period. For example, if the air-conditioner has a warranty of 3 years, then the repair costs will be carried out by the company for 3 years. Any complaint filed beyond that, the customer will be charged.
For the smooth running of these devices, it is essential to keep in mind not to keep the devices running for long hours. It is best to plug each device into a single unit. Too many of them stocked in one socket can cause overloading or short circuit. It can even result in the burning of live and neutral wires.
Extended warranties of appliances
While purchasing from a retailer, the customer is offered extended appliance warranties. For example, heavy appliances come with extended warranties of one year, where the company covers parts and labor for one to three years; reasons behind this is:
- Happy customers: Even if the machine is out of warranty, manufacturers want their customers to be genuinely satisfied.
- Credit cards: Many credit cards are offered with extended appliance warranties. Not all credit card protections are valid.
Taking appropriate care and maintenance of electrical appliances enhances their efficiency. However, before making a purchase, it should be noted that the device has a warranty of at least one to two years. The individual will be assured that repairing the damaged parts will be carried out by the manufacturer without any charges.
Although there are no service costs for warrantied products, the customer does have to follow the terms and conditions under which the warranty is valid.